Thursday, September 10, 2009

We don't need red hats on 9/11. We remember.

When talking to a friend last night about Derek Jeter and his record, he mentioned one thought to me: "I hope that Jeter doesn't have to break the hits record in a red cap."

While it's true that Jeter won't have to break the record in a red cap--he'll be wearing a batting helmet--it does bring another issue to light.

It is one thing to wear red caps on Memorial Day or July 4th--days that have equal meaning across the country. While I can't agree with their use on Memorial Day--I have issues with the commercialization of days designed for remembrance--I had no issue with their use on July 4th. July 4th, after all, is a happy holiday, a day of celebration, so why not commercialize the heck out of it?

September 11, though, really gets me riled.

Anyone who argues that September 11 holds the same meaning in say, Oklahoma, as it does in New York City must have not been in New York on that day.

It's no knock against the middle of our country, but 9/11 did claim the majority of its victims from New York.

We don't need red hats to symbolize that day; the date itself is enough for us to remember.

Should I describe to you my thoughts as a fifteen year-old student, watching my classmates, some of the toughest people I'd ever met, reduced to tears because they could not contact their parents who worked in lower Manhattan?

Should I describe to you my thoughts as I sat on the bus home, and how I saw the smoke rising from the New York City skyline?


If Major League Baseball wants to remember September 11, there are decent ways to do it.

Have a member of the FDNY play Taps before the game. Have a moment of silence. You don't need to sell hats that look a little ridiculous when matched with pinstripes.

If you really, really want to stick it to the terrorists, you know what you should do?

Play ball.