Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Power of the 'Stache (Postgame Notes 09 July 2008)

I have a confession to make.

I went to the Yankee game today.

I was at the Yankee game, and for the first time since August 5th, I witnessed a Yankee victory. It was my first win this season (on my sixth try), and I have to say, it was a quality win as well.

I wasn't expecting a whole lot from Sidney Ponson (I mean, dude, he's Sidney Ponson), but he did ore than exceed my expectations in only surrendering one run over six innings. That's not to say Ponson didn't flirt with disaster throughout a couple of those innings, but he was able to reprise his Houdini act from his start against the Mets and give the Yankees what they needed.

It proved to be important as even though Edwin Jackson wasn't anything special, the Yankees again had trouble scoring with runners in scoring position.

It's probably fitting, then, that on Mustache Day, Jason Giambi had an RBI single in the first, and that, after making an excellent catch in the 8th, Bobby Abreu had the double in the tenth to win the game.

Don't look now, but the back end combination of Veras, Farnsworth and Rivera looks unhittable. Granted, Mo's Cy Young season helps, but that's not the point.


Anyway, I've got a few pictures from the day.


Outside Gate 6


My brother, having fun with the 'stache.


My friend Andrea and her friend Alisa 'staching it up.


Ponson walking out to the bullpen to warm up


John Sterling with some more facial decoration. Waldman had one, too.


Brett Gardner warming up. He did successfully steal second the one time he reached base.


View from our seats


The 'Stache after the RBI single in the first


The Spanish language broadcasters pushed the button to 32 home games left.


Well, what are you waiting for?


Jose Veras. The back end of the bullpen has really become something.


Enter Sandman


Exit light, enter night.


Walk off celebration


Mobbing Bobby

3 comments:

  1. Rebecca - I am glad you broke your loosing record! Ponson did a nice job as did the entire Yankee team. This was big to win 2 against Tampa and put doubts in their heads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a feeling that the reason the Yankees won today is because of your "garish" (aka AWESOME) mustache.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'stache game = best game ever.

    even though I look like a crack head.

    ReplyDelete