Friday, July 17, 2009

An Observation that You Youself Probably Made (Postgame Note, 17 July 2009)

Phil Hughes pitched two innings of relief tonight--striking out the side both times--and throwing a total of 40 pitches, by far the most he's thrown since being sent to the bullpen.

Theoretically, he could throw 60 pitches next time out if need be.

You can see where this is headed.

I have previously argued that to fully stretch Hughes back out, turn him back into a starter and one that could really help the Yankees would take too long at this part of the season to be effective.

I stand by my argument, but, if the Yankees are, in fact taking the mid-season-stretching-out-of-pitchers route, I hope I'm wrong.

Either way, Hughes has remided us this season why we were all so hyped up about him in the first place.