After hearing about George King's article today, and reading the ESPN capsule preview, I've come to one conclusion:
It's time to launch the 2008 Optimism Campaign: Mission 27/08
What's the Campain?
The Optimism Campaign is a campaign to spread an optimistic outlook on the New York Yankees, to focus on what's right, and not what's wrong, but what can be improved. It is a campaign to spread the belief...nay, the knowledge...that the Yankees are fully capable of their 27th World Championship, and that intangibles, the things you can't get from sabermetrics matter. It is a campaign to appreciate the glorious history of the franchise with an eye on the well being of our future. It is a campaign that recognizes that while the team will make mistakes, it does no good to dwell on them, and, instead, to focus on how we can prevent it from occurring again.
What do we believe?
- There are 27 outs to a baseball game and you must play all of them before the game is officially over.
- Everyone on the Yankees roster has the capacity to be the hero of that game, regardless of past actions.
- That intangibles, such as clubhouse chemistry and ability to perform in the clutch, matter.
- That whether or not Joe Girardi is the right choice of manager isn't the big issue (even though he is), but that we will support him throughout the season in one of the toughest jobs in all sports.
- That, whatever comes out of his mouth, Hank Steinbrenner (and his siblings) know what he (and they) are doing.
- That the youngsters, here defined as Melky Cabrera, Robinson Canò, Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain, Ian Kennedy and Shelley Duncan, may go through harsh growing pains, but that their upside is tremendous and that not trading any one of them has been a good idea.
- That Jason Giambi and Mike Mussina will have bounce-back years.
- That Bobby Abreu, Alex Rodriguez, Jorge Posada, Mariano Rivera, Chien Ming Wang and Andy Pettitte will continue to perform at a level appropriate for their position.
- That pessimism is a product of tabloids and certain broadcast media that exists to provide entertainment and rile emotions.
- That negative opinions have every right to exist as long as they are expressed in a civilized and reasonable form, even if we do not hold them ourselves.
All you have to do is say you're an optimist, and you're in! While you don't have to agree with every single bulleted point above, the first one is absolutely crucial.
What are the perks of membership?
Sharing a bond with Yankee fans just like yourself, and scientific studies have shown a positive outlook increases life expectancy.
What is Mission 27/08?
It is the mission for 27 Championships in 2008.