Friday, May 22, 2009

Don't Forget Your Sunblock

I briefly touched on this in my last post, but I want to harp on it a little. It's not the world's biggest issue, but it kind of baffles my mind.

According to both those working at the Yankee team store and those at the customer help area, there is no place in the new Stadium that sells sunblock.

I don't really understand this.

The minor league park in Syracuse, for example, sells sunblock.

This came in very handy last spring when I went to a game, where it was 85+ F outside and I was sitting in the sun.

I am of northern European Jewish ancestry and there are a number of natural redheads in my Mom's family. In other words, I burn. And I burn pretty easily.

So when I wound up at the game last spring with no sunblock, I was, indeed, very happy when I could buy sunblock at the park and go home without getting burnt.


Tonight, I simply forget to bring my sunblock. I'd taken it out of my purse some time ago, because it's a big tube, and simply forgot to put it back. So I figured I could buy it somewhere in the Stadium, where there are and will be day games in the bright, hot, dazzling HOLY CRAP DID YOU SEE THAT SHOT FROM LEBRON?!? summer sun.

Alas, it was not to be.

Now, there are stores down the street that sell sunblock, but once inside the Stadium I obviously could not leave.

I understand forgetting the sunblock is my own fault, but it kind of escapes me why a team would simply not sell it, especially when they'd probably make a ton of money with Yankee-brand sunblock.

The thing here is that, unlike key chains or bottle openers, this isn't something that I want for my convenience or so I can have a keepsake from the game.

Sunblock is something that's used to protect one's health.

I was lucky it was a night game and my seats were under an overhang; I was really only in the sun before the game, waiting for friends outside the Stadium. However, the next game I have a ticket for is a day game.

As is tomorrow's game, and Sunday's.

Out of the thousands of fans sitting in the sun on the field, main and terrace levels, is every single one of them going to remember to bring sunblock? I guarantee there will be one or two that realize, only when their skin starts to burn, that they want it, only to be told they can't find it.


It's really a simple thing here, for the Yankees to sell sunblock.

Just small containers in bins at the register, like lip balm at CVS. Charge the hell out of it, for all I care, but at least it would be there, and as someone pays for a t-shirt, they say, "hey, sunblock's not a bad idea", and they add it to their purchase. Maybe it stops them from getting burnt; maybe it stops one who's had way too many burns (like me) from something worse.

I know Yankee Stadium isn't the beach. You really only need sunblock on your shoulders/arms and maybe your face; and not all over your back and midriff.

Still, I can't think of any logical reason not to sell it.