Sunday, May 3, 2009

Yankees vs Angels, 3 May 2009: A Liveblog (With Eli picture!)

11.05 AM: First things first, come meet baby Eli!


Isn't he utterly adorable?!


11.06 AM: Raining here in the Bronx. A lot. And the band or rain extends back into PA. Still, it's two hours before game time and there's clear weather after. The Angels don't return to Yankee Stadium, so they'll do all they can to get this game in, but my gut's telling me we're probably looking at a 3 PM or 4 PM start. They can't start much later than that or else they'll risk cutting into ESPN'S ~*exclusive*~ broadcasting time.

Radar for your reference can be found here

Actually, it looks pretty darned bad, don't it?


11.12 AM: Dámaso Marte is on the DL. Anthony Claggett, he of the can't-stop-the-bleeding-let-Cleveland-score-14-runs-in-one-inning has been called up. I don't really fault Claggett here; the Yankees don't really have a better option without messing with the 40 man.

11.57 AM: Today's lineup from LoHud:


Jeter SS
Damon LF
Teixeira 1B
Matsui DH
Posada C
Cano 2B
Cabrera RF
Berroa 3B
Gardner CF

Why no Peña is really intriguing/bothering me, especially with Berroa's, uh, ability to field. I guess Swisher's elbow is still sore, and I hope he doesn't miss much more time. I'm sorry, but I still don't like Cabrera and Gardner in the same line up.

12.03: Via LoHud (link above): Swisher is only available to DH, which I guess means he'd be available to pinch hit if needed, but the Yanks don't really have a spare outfielder, so maybe he can only PH for Berroa or some such.

No word (that I know of) on why Berroa over Peña. Could just be I'm making a big deal out of nothing. That's usually the case.

12.09 PM: According to Girardi's press conference, Berroa's in simply because it's a lefty pitching. Peña switch hits, but hasn't had many PAs against LHPs.

1.26 PM: The radar looks worse every time I look. Right now the question isn't if they'll call the game, but how long they'll wait.

1.46 PM: Sox and Rays on TBS if you're bored.

2.14 PM: Official: Game PPD.