Saturday, December 15, 2007

A Mensch

As we'd say in Yiddish, Andy Pettitte is a mensch.

His statement, issued through his agent and posted by Pete Abraham:

First, I would like to say that contrary to media reports, I have never used steroids. I have no idea why the media would say that I have used steroids, but they have done so repeatedly. This is hurtful to me and my family.



In 2002 I was injured. I had heard that human growth hormone could promote faster healing for my elbow. I felt an obligation to get back to my team as soon as possible. For this reason, and only this reason, for two days I tried human growth hormone. Though it was not against baseball rules, I was not comfortable with what I was doing, so I stopped. This is it - two days out of my life; two days out of my entire career, when I was injured and on the disabled list.



If what I did was an error in judgment on my part, I apologize. I accept responsibility for those two days. Everything else written or said about me knowingly using illegal drugs is nonsense, wrong and hurtful. I have the utmost respect for baseball and have always tried to live my life in a way that would be honorable. I wasn’t looking for an edge; I was looking to heal.



If I have let down people that care about me, I am sorry, but I hope that you will listen to me carefully and understand that two days of perhaps bad judgment should not ruin a lifetime of hard work and dedication. I have tried to do things the right way my entire life, and, again, ask that you put those two days in the proper context. People that know me will know that what I say is true.




***


HGH was not banned until 2005, so even if what he did was unethical, it wasn't illegal.


The best thing to do for anyone is to admit it (if it's true), and that's what Pettitte did. He has the whatchamacallit to stand up and take responsibility for his actions.

If only there were others who did that as well...

4 comments:

  1. Hey Rebecca and whomever,

    I have an extra ticket to tomorrow's Giants game (an excellent seat 11 rows behind the Giants bench), and all my friends and family are scared to go due to the weather. If anyone wants to go enough to post their email address on the comments here, I'll check back later and send you an email. I'm planning on taking the bus out, and could meet you at the stadium or at Port Authority.

    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  2. The offense falls in the same vein as athletes who have done cocaine or other drugs, since it was illegal under U.S. law but not banned by baseball. There should be no suspension and I think he has grounds for an appeal if Selig tries anything.

    I don't think Andy thinks he did anything wrong. He feels like he tried something to heal, and it should have been okay, but some people think it's wrong, so he's forced into an apology.

    Gotta give props to Andy for at least admitting the truth, even if he did deny it earlier when Grimsley's accusations came out awhile back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why did you ever call your blog 'purist bleeds pinstripes'. I've read your blog occasionally for a while and there is nothing pure about your views on baseball.

    Bleedspinstripes would have been a much more truthful title.

    ReplyDelete
  4. anon--

    A week or so before I started the blog, Clay Buchholz pitched a no-hitter for the Boston Red Sox.

    I appreciated it for what it was (which, no doubt, has angered some of my friends), and one friend, who is a fan of the Red Sox, labeled me a purist.


    I liked it, so I kept it.

    Anyway, there is already a very good blog out there named "bleeding pinstripes".

    ReplyDelete