Monday, April 14, 2008

42

I know Jackie only from grainy black and white footage. That picture of him stealing home. The smile that grabs you and makes you wonder how people can hate. This is how I know him.

Before Martin, before Malcolm, there was Jackie.

Jackie didn’t need to make any great speeches or stage any great rallies—he said more with his silence. He spoke with his glove, with his bat, with his talent.

You don’t need to be a baseball fan to appreciate Jackie Robinson.

You just need to be human.



42
January 31, 1919 – October 24, 1972

4 comments:

  1. By the by, Mickey Mantle had some great things to say about Jackie Robinson in his book "The Quality of Courage". Its kind of cool to see something written by a contemporary.

    Hey Rebecca when you have the time, come stop by our blog. We did an interview with a book author that we've been really excited about. Its: http://respectjetersgangster.blogspot.com in case you forgot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did stop by and skim it--don't have time to read the entire thing right now, but I will later =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the nice words about the art. My goal is to get something hanging in the new stadium. I've already linked to you over at my blog. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is long. I'll give you that. Take care!

    ReplyDelete